How to Get a Good Night's Sleep

23.11.14

Sorry I haven't been blogging lately guys, I had to prepare for a presentation I was giving for uni. I ended up doing really well! I'm proud of myself, for once! Usually I just shrug it off and feel I could've done better, but this time I feel soooo much better.

Anyway, I digress! As a bit of a stress-head, I sometimes struggle with sleep. I worry about things that don't really need to be worried about and I ponder on the for ages. I make up scenarios in my head and imagine what can go wrong, I'm so bad! So I thought I would put together a list of what actually helps me fall asleep when I'm struggling.

Stay Offline

Don't keep checking Facebook or Twitter! Put your phone down/on charge and keep it away! Staring at it will keep you awake.

Read a Good Book

If you like reading, then I suggesting doing so before you go to bed. It's something to do to get you nice and relaxed and to keep your mind off other things. However, don't get too carried away! Sometimes I read for too long because I've lost track of time.

If you don't like reading, maybe you could read some poems in a poetry collection, or write a journal.

Don't keep too bright a light on, as that will keep you up too. Alternatively, a Kindle Paperwhite would be useful.

Don't Worry!

As I have anxiety (which is getting better though, hurray!) I thought I would share with you some of my tips that I use to stop me from worrying too much when I get too anxious. I can't stop thinking and end up keeping myself awake.

  1. Imagine the bad thoughts float down a stream as you watch on from the neighbouring bank. It's relaxing and wards off the hostile thoughts.
  2. If you're worrying about something like work or school/college/uni, think about the good things you've achieved. For example, I was worrying about giving my presentation, but then I realised that I got a First in my presentation last year. Thinking about my achievements and what I've done well in really cheers me up and gets me relaxed.

Use a Pillow Spray or Roll-On

I recently just tried out thisworks' Pillow Spray and I absolutely love it. I usually get interrupted sleep and wake up for no reason whatsoever, but I was able to drift off easily and stay in a long, deep sleep. thisworks' Pillow Spray retails for around £16, but you can get a cheaper version from Avon here for about £5.

I also remember that Roll-Ons used to help me when I couldn't sleep when I was younger. I rolled on some product (usually containing lavender) onto my temples and wrists and that helped me drift off in the same way.

Have a Cup of (decaffeinated) Tea!

Before I go to bed, I like to pop the kettle on and make myself a cup of tea. To help me drift off I usually have a peppermint tea, fresh mint tea (see my blog post here!) or chamomile. If you really can't sleep, then I suggest camomile, as it is soothing and relaxing.

I hope I helped you with these tips! Do you do anything to ensure a good night's sleep?

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this post, Amy! :) I love anything chamomile too! Just the smell of it keeps me relaxed and takes my mind off stressful things. :D I am so happy to hear that you did well for your presentation! All the best in your studies and everything! xx

    Cheers!
    Pearlyn

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :) I will respond to all of them, thank you!